A free racing tip for Goodwood from our old friend Guy aka The Mathematician
to visit Guy’s site click here ==> Horse Racing Tipster
G o o d w o o d 2.40
For live market odds see
I had this 14f handicap pencilled in early as race that may well have provided a bet.
I like FRANCISCAN 8/1 Each Way.
Not really a statistical choice but this is a progressive horse from a stable with a great record in the race.
He dissapointed last time but hated very soft ground.
That last run is why is isnt perfect statistically but I want to overlook that.
Had there been faster ground at Goodwood I’d be making him a stronger bet.
Happy for a smaller bet though but I have shortlisted a few too many.
* This is a 14f Class 2 Handicap for all aged horses
* Goodwood has had 15 renewals of this race
Last year we had a Stat buster win. That was PETARA BAY
who was older than any past winner and more exposed as well.
I am going to ignore that as I see last years winner as a fluke.
There was a fancied horse that was Killed in the race and two
other strongly fancied horses were knocked over and lost all chance.
It was a very rough race and I think thats helped the Stat buster win
and he only did that in a photo.
Therefore I’m going to stay with the standard trends which are quite strong.
* These races usually go to younger unexposed horses
* Horses aged 6 or more only won last years race
* Horses aged 3-4-5 dominate this contest
* No exposed horse has ever won this race (All 60 lost)
* They struggle in similar races and none were beaten far lto
* Horses aged 4 need a good recent run
* Those beaten more than 10 lengths last time out are 0-66
* Horses that came from 14f races mysteriously struggle
* Many came from 12f or from 2m races
* None though ran over this 14f distance last time out
* Horses doing that were 0-52
* I suspect that is because improvement is found at the trip
* ROXY FLYER – Rejected as mare with 1 run this season
* PETARA BAY is underraced and exposed aged 8
* THE BETCHWORTH KID is underraced and exposed aged 7
* MOTIVADO – Needs another run this year for me
* HARLESTONE TIMES also wants another race
* SPICE FAIR is wrong exposed and out of form
* SOLAR Sky – 94 day absence hurts him
* LIFE AND SOUL is exposed and I am wary
* Career high mark and he comes from 14f a bad sign
* SHUBAAT – His absence is longer than any past winner
* Didnt do enough last time to interest me
* LATE TELEGRAPH – 1997 winner was similar
* He was a 4yo from a 2m race with 5-6 runs
* That horse won last time and had 5 runs that year
* LATE TELEGRAPH lost easily and has just 3 runs
* VASILY is hard to read
* She is also 4 from a 12f race and has 4 runs this year
* Profile fine other than none like him won last time out
* Throw in a Months absence after a win and he is unsafe
* VERY GOOD DAY – Neutral profile
* He’s 5 and won a 2m race last time
* No 5yo won last time but none have tried to do it
* No horse has had a close enough profile to compare
* A BOY NAMED SUZI is 4 and comes from 12f
* He has Class 2 form and 3 runs that season
* The 2009 was very similar so he’s shortlisted
* FRANCISCAN is 4 from 12f with 3 runs this year
* He has a similar profile as well
* On the negtaive side he lost by too far last time
* On the positive side he hated the ground last time
* His trainer also has a brilliant record in it
* Look at Luca Cumani’s 7 runners in this race
* They finished W 2 14 W 2 W 2
Cumani was bullish about FRANCISCAN at Haydock last time
and said he was very progressive.
He also warned about him on soft ground and said that wasnt sure to suit.
This wont be as bad as Haydock and I think he can return to form and win this.
S e l e c t i o n